Thursday, January 31, 2008

stuff to put stuff in and some more stuff

Ever since I saw the pleated beauty handbag from Bend the Rules Sewing, I knew I had to have one. And not ever being able to find anything in my droopy old purse I was too lazy to put interfacing in was starting to really get on my nerves. Enter linen and springy green Freshcut fabric from Creations:I love this bag. It's even roomy enough to put my groceries in if I'm just picking up a couple things. It has really stiff interfacing on the bottom so it stands up by itself.
So mom and I were out poking around in a thrift shop and I fell in love with this Singer Genie. I had just been oohing and ah-ing over the one in the Softies book and lo and behold, here it was. I swear I heard angels singing. But I was totally broke, so mom insisted on buying it for me. Which I promptly yelled at her for. I guess I felt guilty, like I was hinting around, but I honestly did not expect her to get it for me. Sometimes I am such an unpleasant person. But this blog is not the place to talk about my dark side, I will just say that I am crazy in love with Jeannie. She is the first sewing machine I've ever named.
Isn't she groovalicioius?The doll is a Christmas present from Val. She normally holds a little house pincushion in her hands. Of course I am jealous of her tights. And Val also made our smallish friend Marley a really stunning doll, posted about here.
My latest project has nothing to do with sewing. I found a curriculum for homeschooling preschoolers on the internet that I'm starting with Sophie next week. I've been using flashcards and books to introduce her to the alphabet and numbers, but I wanted to make it more fun and creative, and give her a little more structure. So my goal is to have "school" for half an hour a day, and I'm incorporating some of the Montessori methods into the curriculum. Today I made geometric insets.

Tracing the outline of the shapes with her finger is supposed to develop hand-eye coordination and prepare her hand for writing. The same principle applies to the sandpaper letters, which I plan on making also. Although I must admit I'm tempted to use something softer. Velour, maybe? Or the velveteen stuff that's on those fuzzy stickers? I'm open to suggestions about this, if anybody feels moved that way.
In other news (do I say "In other news" in every single post?Ido, don't I?), I want to sew. My head is spinning with all my big, big plans. I want to make a twirly skirt and a cute little smock for Sophie. And a skirt and an emmeline apron for me. Oh, and plant a wee garden somewhere in there.
All in good time, my pretties. All in good time.

4 comments:

valerie said...

i think what you're doing for sophie is amazing. i love your commitment to a half hour of school a day... i also love your idea of using something softer to make letters. it would be cool to make letters out of different textures and colors, so that she can expand her vocabulary with adjectives as well. other ideas that come to mind for materials are corrugated paper, corduroy, felt, colored cellophane (she can learn the word translucent!)...

your bag is awesome! i made the same mistake some time ago of being too lazy to use interfacing. i have so many projects that i'd love to embark on as well... i like reading about what you wish to make, because it turns me on to new things. i want a wee garden as well!!! i went to the website and saw a wee moss garden. i've been fantasizing about a little moss garden. it would have to be little in tx!

we haven't talked in two weeks! let's talk this weekend!

Unknown said...

Ooooh! It's not really all about ME...it's all about the BAG! I love it. Gotta get me one. Lined in insulated batting, of course, for my things that need to be kept cool.
Oh, you go girl! Lil Soph is so blessed!

plaidshoes said...

I made that bag! I pretty much wore it out, I used it so much. That whole book is full of great ideas.

jojoebi-designs said...

I made the sandpaper letters for my son using sticky backed felt, there is a tutorial of sorts on my blog
http://jojoebi.blogspot.com/2007/06/sandpaper-letters.html.
Took a while to make but the felt was much easier to handle than the sandpaper.