Wednesday, January 2, 2008

cake, presents and a twirly dress

I wanted to post some pics, however late, of Sophie's birthday party. The cake was so much fun to decorate. I know the picture doesn't show it off that well, but it had lime green swags, little pink bows, and an orange and yellow ruffle border around the bottom. The shell border around the top is a bright teal. It is loosely based on the signature birthday cake from this book. The Italian merengue buttercream from here is the best I've ever tasted. Of course, the birthday bird was way too focused on her first ever taste of mickey d's soft serve and didn't even touch her cake. She managed to eat a whole candle before we caught on, though.
The birthday dress is a pattern I got from mom's stash. The lilac heather ross fabric is from reprodepot. It was supposed to be a complete surprise, but I wasn't clever enough with where I his the fabric, and she busted me. She came running up to me with it, crying, "clowns! clowns!" (they are actually matryoshkas, but whatever.) So thrilled by fabric and she's only two...she must be my girl.
I felt compelled yesterday to ramble on a while about the highlights of 2007 and what my dreams are for the coming year. But that post was doomed. I had some technical difficulties, got frustrated and deleted the whole thing. So rather than repeat myself, let me sum it up for you:
Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Clear Skies and Fair WInds said...

What a pretty birthday girl! She is so sweet and looks so pretty in her "clown" fabric dress. I love your blog and pop over to check out what's going in your life. Happy New Year and Happy Anniversary also to you and hubby.

Alexis said...

What a sweet dress! Happy New Year, and thanks for visiting my blog! Now if your dh was named Chris, that would be really spooky!

Alexis, mama to Sofia and Maia

Unknown said...

So glad you posted! I printed the cake picture for us and am sending it to Catie. I'm still doing pockets. Did the nativity family on one (actually twice...once felted, that didn't work out, the second one embroidered that worked out fine) and am determined to finish the calendar so that I can freely move on to other things (softies, finger-puppets)with a clear conscience and crafts table! Thanks for a great end to the old year and good things to look fwd to in the new! I love you guys! -Mamere

valerie said...

sophie is such a little princess in her purple feathered tiara surrounded by soft violets and pinks... the dress is darling. i'm glad she isn't too young to appreciate cool fabric and cute dresses! i wish i could have read about your dreams for 2008, but i know how that goes! don't give up on blogging even thought it's a total pain sometimes!!!