Friday, October 26, 2007

things that make me say, "yay!"

I made this dress, mostly to wear to Stitch Austin, but also because I've been wanting to wear something that screams, "It's Fall!" It might be an oxymoron to have a fall dress with cap sleeves. But again, this is Texas. It's good to be prepared for heat waves at shockingly inappropriate times, like mid-November. I was so happy to have an excuse to sew something with Denise Schmidt's new line of fabrics. The pattern is Simplicity 3964. Some other things that make me smile:



Sophie and her friend Tatum's sparkly shoes
My new milk frother ($2!!) from Ikea



I'm having some girls over tonight for craft night. Sophie's having a girlfriend over too.
On the menu: Tomato basil galettes, spiced pecans, chips and crab dip, and an assortment of cookies. I get such a thrill from making girly party food.

In other news, I have been spending some time on etsy lately. I especially love these and this.There are so many strange and beautiful things out there, sometimes it's so hard to resist.

4 comments:

valerie said...

that dress is cutesy-gorgeous which is a cool combination. it looks vintage too. i've been daydreaming about what i'm going to make to wear to stitch too. i'm just so short on time! i've had my eyes on those birdies as well. i want to try to make a version of them. i've also printed off the pattern for the pointy kitty from wee wonderfuls. i wish i could put the world on pause and just settle into my craft room for awhile.

well, i'm sooooo jealous i'm not invited to your craft night. i guess a four hour drive exempts me.
i can't wait to see you in your dress....

Unknown said...

Yay, too! You know I just realized that this is the first dress pattern that you've sewn! Yay! I wish I'd have asked you to try it on when you showed it to me. If I get to see you soon, I will ask you to.
Gunny says we may drive to see you guys tomorrow, which is always a ?! with him, til the last minute, you know.
I hear him yelling, from the tv room, "when I grow up I want to be Hammy", which means he's watching Over The Hedge" again! So much better than hearing him swear at sports teams! Reminds me of being married to (or as) a teenager again!
Sorry I couldn't make it to craft night. Being only 45 minutes away is hardly an excuse but, if it's any consolation, G's given me permission to start looking at Fbg housing again.
Anyway, love the dress!

Unknown said...

Oh, btw, the "Eve"'s nose in the first pic is yours. do you recognize it? It's so you. (which means it's me, too!) I love that!

Unknown said...

I meant to comment on the ruby/silver slippers! Wish I'd had these when I was a free-spirited child. Wow, imagine what inspiration those would've have been to an already little-goddess-in-the-making! Look Out, Sophie. it's all open from here, kiddo!
Didn't make it to your house on Saturday. Hope you have all recovered from the weekend. G & I were creating possibilities of where the retreat could've been held and what those men really were doing! Ha! You can just imagine!:)
Hope he's rested now from all that hard work! Love you guys!