Thursday, November 8, 2007

big girls do cry

Last weekend I made monkey bread. Dave has always talked about how his mom used to make it. And Amy's post about it made my mouth water. If I'm going to have dessert these days, it had better have some chocolate. So I got wacky and put chocolate glaze on it. And now my pants are tight. Oh well, it was worth it. Here is the recipe: 3 12 oz. packages biscuit dough




1 cup finely chopped nuts




3/4 cup sugar




3 Tablespoons cinnamon









Mix together sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Put nuts into another medium bowl. Pour 1/2 cup milk into a third bowl. Cut biscuits into quarters and dredge in milk, then nuts, then cinnamon sugar mixture. Place biscuit quarters into greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto plate. Let cool completely and drizzle chocolate glaze over monkey bread.









Chocolate glaze




3/4 cup dark chocolate chips




1 1/2 cups powdered sugar




1 tablespoon butter




2 1/2 tablespoons milk




1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium low heat and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.




This weekend we turned Sophie's nursery into a big girl room. We got her a bed and bookshelf at Ikea.Now the whole family has room for new books. wheeee!

I have to gush about her quilt for a while. When I was sixteen, my Nana finished a quilt her sister had made the top of and gave it to me for Christmas. I had no idea what I had at the time. I am so not proud of this, but after it was on my bed for about a year, I ditched it for some cheesy purchased bedspread, probably from Wal-Mart. Ugh. Clueless. I finally got Dave to get it out of storage and it took my breath away. My dad has talked about how poor his aunt was, and I know these are all floursack and scrap fabrics from clothing. This is what a quilt is supposed to be about. This is what I shell out hundreds of dollars trying to duplicate. The picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. Can you tell I am in awe of this quilt? The rug, lamp, and hanging cubby-thing are also from Ikea. Sophie, by the way, adores it all. She enjoys throwing herself on the bed and laughing wildly. One thing I did not anticipate is that ever since she got her toddler bed, she is in full toddler mode. At the word "no" she cries these manipulative crocodile tears. She has also been spending more time clinging to my leg and pounding her fists on the floor. So I am going to mom's today for a little breather. I think I'll bring my knitting and maybe rent a chick flick. And this weekend is Stitch Austin with Val. I need some good old-fashioned best friend company right now like I need oxygen.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, big girls DO cry. The quilt couldn't be more perfect on Soph's bed. I love the similar shape and contrasting colors of the rug next to it. Her bookshelf is amazing.
Sorry you didn't make it over today. I had cancelled my own girl-day with Bev to see you. Oh well, such is life.
Think I'll take to the road for a bit.
Oh, the monkeybread IS SATAN! Gunny had NONE (guess he figures mine couldn't hold a candle to yours)and I had too much.
No worries about tight pants here, though! My ring fell off my finger in the kitchen yesterday and I had to throw out my nightime-granny-panties today because they fell to my ankles when walked across the room this morning! No complaints from me though. G would've laughed his arse off if he'd have seen it!

valerie said...

mmmm... i can't wait to make monkey bread!

sophie's room is bright and pretty and seems very organized! i'm sure her bookshelf will fill up fast with tons of books!