Friday, March 7, 2008

I've been knitting up a storm

I finished the socks. Dave loves them. Maybe he was just stroking me, but he did say they were the comfiest socks he's ever worn. I was a little worried about the colors. He refers to lots of blue shades as "gay blue," and I was sure this sky blue would fit that category. But apparently this is a heterosexual blue, once again proving my complete inability to distinguish the difference. It's OK. I don't have to be the best at everything. But finishing these socks was bittersweet, kind of like when you come to the end of a book you've loved. I was so happy when my new sock yarn arrived from Purl the next day. Turns out I love sock knitting. These next ones are for me. The colors remind me of a mixed berry cobbler.

These beauties (you are forced to take my word for it; I am SO not a food photographer) resulted from a combination of intentional modifications to the recipe and multiple times of forgetting to read the directions. We're all pretty pleased with the result, I think. I call them oopsie bars.(I figure every mommy needs at least one dessert recipe with a hokey name.) The original recipe is a Betty. Oopsie Bars
1 package yellow cake mix
1 cup butter, softened
1 egg
2 cups old fashioned oats, divided
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup peanut butter chips
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom of an 8" square pan with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
2. Beat cake mix, butter, and egg on low speed 1 min. Stir in 1 3/4 cup oats. Press batter in bottom of pan. Bake for 18 min.
3. Sprinkle chocolate chips, pecans, and peanut butter chips over hot crust. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup oats on top.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool and cut into squares.
Here is a present I knitted for a sweet new friend. I used Rowan Silk Wool DK. The pattern is from Joelle Hoverson's Last Minute Knitted Gifts. Love that book. I really like the way this turned out. But I did get frustrated trying to finish it last night. I can never remember how to knit I-cord. I tried reading instructions out of two of my knitting books and even watched a video online and just couldn't get it. That's what sucks about being a lefty; sometimes it's really hard to learn new things. So I ended up just alternating rows of knit and purl stitches. I know it was the wrong way, but it came out looking like I-cord, so no harm done, I guess. I love this yarn, it is the softest ever.

I'm in high spirits today...it's date night! Mom's coming over to watch Schnickelfritz so it'll be just me and my man. Dinner and a show...rumor has it there will be an Elvis impersonator. What more could I ask for?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the hat! and, of course you know I NV d's new sox and can't wait to see yours.
I don't dare try the Oopsie bars, as hubby's starting a diet. I've even had to quit making his favorite chocolate-pudding pie! He must be serious!
Can't wait to see you tonight. You guys & faux Elvis! ha! Better U than me is what I'm thinkin'!

valerie said...

that jitterbug sock yarn is brilliant. i'm sure your new socks will give you the energy to boogie through the house and happily clean. dave's socks do look comfy. i bet those are the first knitted socks he's ever had. i'm pretty sure i'll never knit a sock in my life.

the tiny pink hat is precious. i hope your date was fun!

Perfumes said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.